SOCORRO, NEW MEXICO – A YEAR-ROUND DESTINATION WITH ENDLESS ACTIVITIES
Over two centuries before Christopher Columbus’ fabled sojourn to the New World from Spain, Piro Indians, the southernmost Pueblo tribe, inhabited villages along the Rio Grande.
Spanish explorers made their way north from Mexico, establishing the El Camino Real – the Royal Road into “New Spain.” As a result, they were frequent visitors to the Piro villages.
Socorro got its name in 1598 from explorer Juan de Oñate, whose tired and hungry men were given food and shelter by the Piros. Oñate renamed the Piro pueblo “Socorro,” which means “help” in Spanish. Also in 1598, the San Miguel Mission (one of the oldest churches in the country) was founded.
When New Mexico became a U.S. territory in 1848, the region saw some relief as the military established a series of forts for protection. In Socorro County, the Army established Fort Conrad in 1851, and then later relocated to the newly-built Fort Cra.... Continue Reading at Adventure Outdoors Magazine